What Millennials Know that Baby Boomers Don't? June 26, 2016

Friday, June 17, 2016

WHY AM I SO SELF INVOLVED?

Hi! It's Kiki! and welcome to the Global Community Park!

Is it just me? or are we all becoming just a little too self involved.  I realized that when my enthusiasm for helping my singer get to Chicago to do her recording session didn't matter to anyone but me, and her, I got very depressed.  I thought that my belief in her talent would be infectious and others would want to help her to realize her dream.
Crystal Dennis - Professional Singer

Now I know that the only thing that really matters is that she loves to sing and many people like to hear her sing and that should be enough.  But that is just the beginning. I also discovered that I had been misjudging people. When they wanted to know about my life (I'm referring to the people around me, not those reading my blog). I thought they wanted to be friends but I soon found out that, once I answered their questions (giving them the information they needed to tell to their friends), I didn't see or hear from them anymore.
The Coronado Islands, CA as seen from my Patio

For example, a new acquaintance wanted to know how I made my income.  I told her that I traded in the stock market.  She showed up at my house 10 am the next morning with the excuse that she was on a "long walk" with her dog (about a 2 mile walk), and just decided to drop in.  I told her I was working, and during the hours of the market I don't leave the computer until all my trades are done, which I also told her when she first asked me. I also mentioned on that evening that  I can't teach her to trade as I am adjusting to the psychological side of trading myself and it just isn't a good time to add teaching to that equation (I know fellow traders understand what I mean). 


When you feel life is against you, volunteer!
I haven't seen her since that day.  I know that she was having problems paying her bills, she had pawned her car and her timeshare was foreclosed on for nonpayment of her HOA fees. When you have that much debt looming over you, it's not a good time to begin trading in the market.  When I trade, I trade with extra passive income, not bill payment money. Living here in Mexico has allowed me to be able to save more money. I use some of that extra $ to trade with.  Anyway, haven't heard from her, nor seen her. I think she left Mexico and abandoned her one year lease on her house so she won't be back anytime soon.

I feel sorry for her or anyone else who is having money or housing problems in this economy. It's been hard on lots of people, I know that. Hopefully a new President in the U.S. will help to turn things around.  People still need to scale back and start downsizing in order to save money. But I digress.
I LOVE the sunset!

Selfies, vlogging, Youtube channels (I watch them too, so I'm not judging, well not too much anyway), blogs (ok I get it, I'm guilty), and self proclaimed superstars.  We are bombarded with the hype people are giving themselves.  There are even companies that make money by promoting those too shy to indulge in their own brand of shameless self promotion. For a fee, they will promote you like a superstar before you even get out your first song!! Few stars get famous on talent anymore, it's mostly hype (Kim Kardasian is a great example of that). 

So, what do ya think? Are we too self involved? or not enough.  I remember being taught that when I get "down in the dumps", get out and volunteer. Sometimes I think I go overboard with self inflection, but I try to tell myself that it's just different times we live in.  I just love the accessibility of everything but on the other hand, I are we building another Tower of Babel (or should I say tower of babel fish?)  Since we are all communicating on our self involved wavelengths, is it time to separate us again?

This era will be defined in the history books, What will it say? Only time will tell.

Stay safe and selfie strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment