What Millennials Know that Baby Boomers Don't? June 26, 2016

Sunday, June 26, 2016

WHAT MILLENNIALS KNOW THAT BABY BOOMERS DON'T

Online Technology  Jobs/Social Media Outreach




Hi! and welcome back to the Global Community Park!  
Stealth Camping/Van Dwelling

Lately, I've been watching some Youtube channels featuring younger and younger people who are buying and living in RVs and vans (calling themselves Vandwellers). These young people know something that we older ones don't. There are so many places I wanted to go and so many things I wanted to experience but never did because I thought I couldn't leave my domain.  I stayed around my husband's job and my children's schools.

Now I know that, being a retired teacher and, at that time, very qualified to home school my two children, I could have moved anywhere.  
I had many ideas on how to start a teaching business as well. Many of my friends wanted me to educate their children once the education system started breaking down and the core curriculum took hold.

I considered moving near Beverly Hills and/or Bel Air, teaching special education and at risk youth because that's my area of expertise and my teaching passion. There was a need, there is always a need and I was very good at reaching that sector of students. 

When my husband died back in 1998, I again considered putting everything into storage and traveling with my children but, well-meaning friends, and my circle of support, fearing for our well being, convinced me that it wasn't a good idea.  In 2008, ten years later, I took my first extended traveling vacation. I moved to Vermont, to a very small town, and opened a novelty store on the main street.  Something I had dreamed of doing as a child when we would visit Vermont often. I stayed there for 3 years and made some positive local history, I will tell more of that in another post. 

Now I live in Mexico, on a beautiful stretch of beach front property.  I love it and have been here for a year.  Every morning I step out onto my patio to welcome the beginning of a new day, a new adventure, every sunset is a thing of beauty, and from my patio I smell a clean and fresh ocean scent.  I love to sit out there and clear my head after a long day of trading in the stock market which can be stressful at times.
I Love My Patio View!


My next extended vacation, after traveling more in the United States this year, will be in Europe. Centering my location in Brussels, I intend to visit Spain, France, Italy, and Germany. I'd like to stay for 3 months and visit them all.  

So, to answer the question, what millennials know that baby boomers don't? They know that they shouldn't wait to retire before they seek wonderful adventures in the world of traveling and exploring. They also know that by using technology, they can live or visit anywhere in the world and still hold an online 9 - 5 job.

Kali, of Kali and Josh on their Youtube channel, The Freedom Theory, summed it up best.  Kali's father passed away last year. She and Josh have been touring in an RV and seeing the country. They both work online so they can travel and work. Kali shared on her Youtube channel, that her father died 5 months into his retirement. This was her validation to do what she always wanted to do, travel. That's what her husband and she are doing now and, with her late father's professional camera left to Kali, they share their journey with all of us via Youtube.

I also had a friend, Sam, who worked 30 years for JCPenney, Inc. He saved enough money and retired where he always wanted, the Phillipine Islands. Around 9 months into his retirement, Sam also went to his reward after having a heart attack due to the extreme heat.  These examples are a life lesson to us all.  Find what you want to do, then pursue that dream, don't wait.  This world is rapidly changing, international borders are changing. Some places we once traveled freely, we now can't and places we couldn't travel to in the past, are now open to us. 
Still Loving My Beachfront!

Millennials have learned not to wait for the perfect time. Just do it, they say. I love the way the Millennials think, the ones who are traveling and defining their own American Dream.  Some marry but, some don't.  Some raise children, but some decide not to. I admire them, they make me wish I had been born later.

Just wanted to share that. Have a wonderful day and enjoy this awesome song from Crystal Dennis!

Crystal Dennis Music-Youtube Channel
"Lady Days" - Original Artist - ENYA

No comments:

Post a Comment